[vip] Suggested meta-questions to think about

James Seng james.seng at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 04:59:54 UTC 2011

This is actually a very good list to start discussing the problem of variants.

In ICANN context, people often lapped all these layers as one and
discussed issues revolving them as one single class. And if we draw
vertical lines down, these issues could further be divided by
different etymology of the scripts, or in our case, divided into
different languages that is currently having issues.

I would strongly argue that we should strictly focus on A1 and maybe
to some extend A2 for the context of variant in our group. I hesitate
we should be dealing with anything lower than that.

2011/6/20 Patrik Fältström <patrik at frobbit.se>:
> A.1. Two characters in Unicode really are to be treated as being equivalent. I presume one could say that the Hangul SC/TC issues fall in that category.
> A.2. Two different spellings of the same word in the same script and same language, like color/colour.

In between A2 & A3, I would insert "two ways to describe the same
concept in the same script and language, like shop and mall"