[vip] Suggested meta-questions to think about

Manal Ismail manal at tra.gov.eg
Wed Jun 22 04:43:32 UTC 2011

Dear All ..
Allow me also to share my views on 'Variants' in general and thanks to Patrik for triggering this discussion on the list ..

I believe 'Variants' is some sort of bundling or linking a set of domain names together .. meaning that:
- delegation of one occurrence of a specific set means either delegation/activation or reservation/blocking of all other occurrences of the same set and
- I believe also release, if ever, of one occurrence of a this set would also mean release of the whole set !!!

*It's worth noting here that this:
- is a personal understanding
- of Visual variants
- from an Arabic Language background
and I'm sure other views occur even within the Arabic Study case (as we haven't come up yet with our views as a group) ..

On what to do should variants occur, I believe:
1. that in case of 'Identical/exact matches' (where there is no way to differentiate without looking into the unicode assignments) there need to be some means of automatic bundling .. This would of course be from a pure security point of view where no one can afford having such occurrences activated and delegated to different registries.

2. whereas other cases would fall into a 'similar/confusingly similar' category where different communities may tend to have different views and where bundling would be made optional and furthermore activation would also be made optional .. and I believe 2 types of needs fall wihtin this category
2.1. community need (where activation will be requested) and
2.2. defensive registrations (where activation may or may not be requested)

Hope this adds to the discussion ..

Kind regards

--Manal Ismail
Egyptian National Telecom regulatory Authority
Egypt GAC Representative

________________________________

من: vip-bounces at icann.org بالنيابة عن Dillon, Chris
تاريخ الإرسال: الاربعاء 22/06/2011 05:33 ص
إلى: James Seng; Patrik F?ltstr?m
نسخة: vip at icann.org
الموضوع: Re: [vip] Suggested meta-questions to think about

Dear Patrik and James,

This would indeed seem to be an elegant and practical approach.

We have a list of situations that may be referred to as "variants" and we collect examples in the wiki in as many languages as possible that fall into the situations, adding some as we go, if necessary. We hope that we end up with only a short number of situations that we officially call variants (or better some other word!).

There may be a small precedent for whether a variant should be treated as one application or two: what happened when the PRC applied for China in SC and TC under the ccTLD Fast Track?

Regards,

Chris.
==
Faculty Information Support Officer