[vip] Suggested meta-questions to think about

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Jun 23 21:59:20 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:00:28PM +0100, Nadya Morozova wrote:
> Siavash, Daniel,

> and guidance on terminology and available data. I hope to access some
> formalised knowledge on variants in different languages and scripts and will
> naturally share any discoveries and data with the mailing list.

Thanks for this.  Something that is quite important to pay attention
to is the special meaning of "variants" we have here.  In particular,
it is related to but quite different from the meaning of "variant" in
Unicode.  It's unfortunate that the term got overloaded historically.
For some more detail, see
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/appsawg/draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc3536bis/ --
which I suggested as useful reading in my short remarks last Saturday,
and which is also mentioned in the documents we've put out.  Note that
we orginally referred to the -01 draft, but -02 is out and is
currently in last call.  It would be great if people who read that and
found it helpful -- or especially if not -- sent some remarks to the
authors or to the working group.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com