[vip] Suggested BoF at the ICANN meeting in Los Angeles

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 8 15:45:22 UTC 2014

On 9/8/2014 6:48 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2014, at 12:51 AM, Cary Karp <cary at karp.org> wrote:
>
>> Considering the elements of the Latin script that can safely be included
>> in the code point repertoire for IDN labels in the root zone is a topic
>> of significant interest. It will be dealt with by a dedicated Latin
>> Script Generation Panel, the formation of which is imminent.
>
> Has that page been abandoned? It is very useful for those of us following the LGR discussions.

No, I don't think the page hasn't been abandoned. It's just that it
doesn't track all details in the pre-formation stage of a generation
panel in real-time.

For the formation of a GP to be "imminent" there would have to be a
submitted proposal to ICANN first. As far as I know, that has not
happened for Latin. What might be "imminent" is that an initial group is
getting together who will be able to submit a formal proposal. That
would be good news.

>> The final report of the ICANN VIP Study Group for the Latin Script
>> <https://archive.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/latin-vip-issues-report-07oct11-en.pdf>
>> provides an extensive listing of the code points that can be considered
>> by that GP. The report also comments on a range of issues involved in
>> collating a subset of the full Latin repertoire for any specific
>> purpose. The report therefore has obvious potential as a seed document
>> for the work of the GP.
> Yes, definitely.

Actually, it would have to be the intersection between the list in that
document and the Maximal Starting Repertoire published in June.
(https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-06-20-en)

>> I would therefore like to propose a BoF early during the ICANN meeting
>> in Los Angeles to discuss bridging the work of the Latin VIP group and
>> the impending Latin Script GP. The BoF could also consider other key
>> issues in extending the current ASCII repertoire into the IDN facet of
>> the root zone, if nothing else, as a warm-up exercise for any sessions
>> on the subject that ICANN might otherwise be planning. (BoF = “Birds of
>> a Feather” -- an ad hoc gathering of people with a shared interest in a
>> topic preliminary to structured action on it.)
>>
>> Are any other list members interested in this?
> I am interested in attending such a BoF session.

If I am in LA I would be happy to attend and to contribute within the
limitations imposed on me as Integration Panel member.

A./