[WP1] First Draft: WP1 content for Comment report on community powers & AOC

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Tue Apr 7 08:25:50 UTC 2015

Hi all

(You may recall in Istanbul that I noted that there remained two further
transparency and accountability elements in the AoCs that I thought we
should consider bringing into the bylaws...)   Below are two proposed
additional sections to add to the bylaws to account for the
accountability and transparency elements in the remaining AoC articles 4
and 7(AoC articles 3 and 8 are being addressed by WP2, and articles 9
and 10 have been addressed already by WP1).

Suggested changes to bylaws:

Consider adding the following text (Article 4 of the AoC in its entirety
with additional italicized edits) as new section 8 in bylaws Article III
on Transparency:

ICANN commits to adhere to transparent and accountable budgeting
processes, /adequate advance notice to facilitate stakeholder engagement
in policy decision-making, /fact-based policy development,
cross-community deliberations, and responsive consultation procedures
that provide detailed explanations of the basis for decisions, including
how

comments have influenced the development of policy consideration, and to
publish each year an annual report that sets out ICANN's progress
against ICANN's bylaws, responsibilities, and strategic and operating
plans. In addition, ICANN commits to provide a thorough and reasoned
explanation of decisions taken, the rationale thereof and the sources of
data and information on which ICANN relied.

Consider adding the following (second half of Article 4 in the AoC with
additional italicized edits) as new section 9 in bylaws Article III on
Transparency:**

**

To ensure that its decisions are in the public interest, and not just
the interests of a particular set of stakeholders, ICANN commits to
perform and publish analyses of the positive and negative effects of its
decisions on the public, including any financial /or
non-commercial/impact on the public, and the positive or negative impact
(if any) on the systemic security, stability and resiliency of the DNS.**

I note that these additions could also go under Article IV
Accountability and Review but the focus there is very much on the
reconsideration and review  processes.

Welcome thoughts, suggestions, etc.

Matthew

On 4/7/2015 12:48 AM, Jordan Carter wrote:
> Dear WP1 colleagues,
>
> Attached in PDF and .docx the first draft of the content we have
> prepared over the weekend to put in the Public Comment report.
>
> It covers community powers and AOC incorporation.
>
> Of course this is not yet perfect - we've done what we can in the very
> tight timeframe to get first draft material together. Thanks to those
> drafting team members who were able to set some time aside and add
> comments and thoughts to the draft. Not everybody had the chance to
> due to some document access issues, so I am sure our next iteration
> will be even better.
>
> This will be the main subject of our WP1 call on 8 April.
>
> *I would welcome and encourage comment or discussion on the list
> before the meeting, as well as at the meeting.* We won't prepare an
> updated version of this until after the WP1 call Wednesday, which will
> take the discussion on the call into account.
>
> I will send this to the co-chairs and asking Leon to advance
> discussion / consideration with the lawyers.
>

> *Staff - *please add this on the Wiki in the appropriate place.
>

> cheers,
> Jordan
>
> --
> Jordan Carter
>
> Chief Executive
> *InternetNZ*
>
> 04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
> jordan at internetnz.net.nz <mailto:jordan at internetnz.net.nz>
> Skype: jordancarter
>
> /A better world through a better Internet /

Matthew Shears
Global Internet Policy and Human Rights
Center for Democracy & Technology (CDT)
+ 44 (0)771 247 2987