[WP1] Last call for comments - v4 of WP1 content for Public Comment Report

Samantha Eisner Samantha.Eisner at icann.org
Fri Apr 17 22:26:34 UTC 2015

Thanks Jordan for the amazing amount of work put into this.  A few comments noted, including some of the points I raised on the call yesterday.

Also, in terms of Steve's note regarding the WP1's intention that the AoC would go away after the Bylaws were adopted, I'd suggest that be placed as a comment and not in the body of the proposal.  I believe that I also heard a comment from Avri (and I don't know if that's been overtaken) that her thoughts are that the NTIA would be asked to agree that the portions of the AoC that are overtaken by competing requirements in the Bylaws be agreed as overtaken, while not supplanting the other commitments therein of upholding the multistakeholder model.  I know that I've heard suggestions in other places that one of the things that ICANN should be doing is seeking support from other governments or stakeholders around the world similar to the NTIA's commitments to the use of the multistakeholder model in the operation of the Internet DNS, and that may still be an important facet of accountability to some around the world.  We could inadvertently be harming others accountability and participation goals by suggesting the concept of the AoC as a whole should just go away.  I do not recall that there is agreement in the CCWG that the work stream 1 outputs include the sunsetting of the AoC - on the contrary, we've been agreeing that we're stress testing against the potential that it goes away.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best,

Sam