[WP1] V1 for PC2 Report - Community Powers - Standard Bylaws

Izumi Okutani izumi at nic.ad.jp
Mon Jul 13 22:46:10 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Please find attached the draft reflecting discussions at the WP1 call - and let me know if there is anything I missed or failed to incorporate accurately.

Two major changes:

 1. Reverted addition on the last paragraph which had put cap on the number of times to use this power
    i.e., back to the text of the first Public Comment
 2. Added option suggested by Kavouss for the period needed for community input
    "15-30 calendar days"

Summary of the revised text and further dicussions:

[Status of Proposed CCWG response/approach to resolution (Developed by WP1)]

Based on "WP1 Summaries by Question" from the Public Comments. No specific comments on this area observed at ICANN53.
https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/First+Public+Comment+Review

* CCWG will consider extending the community review period from 2 weeks to a longer timeframe TBD
   --> "2 weeks" deleted but alternative TBD

* CCWG will continue to explore and explain member structure
   --> Not reflected: needs to fix the model first

* CCWG will consider lowering the vote threshold from 3/4 to 2/3
   --> Reflected

* CCWG will consider mechanisms for limiting procedural impasse and possible delays
   --> Not reflected: Needs discussions

* CCWG will consider a cap on the number of times this power can be utilized. Further clarification needed
   --> Not Reflected: Concerns expressed in WP1 on reflecting this

[Further Discussions]

* CCWG will consider extending the community review period from 2 weeks to a longer timeframe TBD
   - CCWG needs to agree on the alternative
   - Alternative options expressed from the public comment:
     a) 30 days
     b) 60 days
     c) 15-30 calendar days
     d) The end of the next ICANN meeting that begins no sooner than one month after the Board posts notice of adoption
        Prior to such changes becoming effective

* CCWG will continue to explore and explain member structure
   - Requested to explain how Member status can be created and maintained without undue costs, complexity, or liability (325)
   - Needs an explanation once the mechanism is fixed
   - Need confirmation with lawyers on how to respond

* CCWG will consider mechanisms for limiting procedural impasse and possible delays
   - Needs to consider alternatives to two weeks, in balance with this point
   - Needs to consider whether putting limites n the number of times for this power to be ultilized is sufficient

* CCWG will consider a cap on the number of times this power can be utilized.
   - Was discussed at WP1 with concerns expressed on reflecting it

* How to address comment (341)
   - Which requests to increase composition of SOs/ACs other than ccNSO and GAC
   - Out of scope to consider it at a part of this work but needs to consider how to respond

Regards,
Izumi