[WP1] Caretaker Board - presentation from counsel

Samantha Eisner Samantha.Eisner at icann.org
Fri Jul 17 07:14:28 UTC 2015

Thanks Jordan.  There are a couple of concerns that I think that we need to keep in mind, in line with the concerns identified in the memo.

First, it seems to me that there would be a real possibility that a significant number of Board members could elect resign upon the triggering of the Board recall process, not even waiting around for the vote.  We'd then be in a position that we'd have a significantly reduced Board membership without a triggering event to get to the proposed interim board measures.

Second, and following from that idea, reliance on Option 1 is probably not a viable option, as we cannot force board members to stay around on even an interim position.

Third,  there are requirements in the ICANN Bylaws on the composition of the Board of Directors.  The further we go down the path to trying to design an interim Board, the more we need to consider if this is creating a separate Bylaws defining the interim Board, such as differing diversity requirements for an interim Board, concerns of whether compensation would be made available to interim directors, what measures could/would exist allowing the unseated Board members to be re-seated to the Board, etc.