[WP1] Bringing AoC Reviews into ICANN Bylaws, v4 reflecting Paris discussion

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Fri Jul 17 14:40:04 UTC 2015

Today (17-Jul) we reviewed and revised the proposal to bring AoC Reviews into the ICANN Bylaws.

By my notes, here are the changes we agreed today:

Preference for option 2 on team composition, so removed 3-May proposal and Option 1.

Allow ATRT to amend these reviews, too.

Add 1 ICANN board member to each review team under option 2.  Note that our 3-May draft had a board member on each team.

Bruce Tonkin suggested requiring review teams to Prioritize their recommendations.   We heard several objections to making that a requirement, so I added it as a suggestion: "The review team should attempt to assign priorities to its recommendations."

Remaining challenges:

How to give review team access to ICANN Internal documents, while preventing disclosure/publication of information that is sensitive, confidential, or proprietary?  Do we impose sanctions for unauthorized disclosure?  HELP NEEDED HERE.

Steve Crocker recommended changing the AoC commitments for WHOIS/Directory Services.  We heard some agreement with that idea, but strong cautions about attempting to drop WHOIS commitments as part of the transition.  Instead, amendments to the WHOIS/Directory Services review could be recommended by the first post-transition ATRT.

—
Steve DelBianco
Executive Director
NetChoice