[WP1] Draft Agenda & Papers - WP1 Meeting #22 (28 July at 19h UTC)

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Tue Jul 28 18:35:08 UTC 2015

On 28/07/2015 15:40, Jordan Carter wrote:
> Hi all
>
> A reminder - the tracked changes versions of these documents are on the
> wiki, linked below. That's where you can see what changed from the last
> version.
>
> Please check out your areas of greatest concern or interest before the call.

I've found one.

This is further to my previous message saying we should note the
inherent power of the CMSM to require ICANN to abide by its Bylaws,
which should be used to ensure that ICANN enters into the IRP and abides
by the results of the IRP.

The latest version published at the URL below contains new introduced
today language which says the opposite:

"As a Member of ICANN, the Community Mechanism would enjoy all the
rights that the law prescribes members as having. The general approach
of the CCWG-Accountability is that none of these statutory rights should
be easily exercised. As such, the recommendation is that to
deploy any such statutory rights should require full consensus of the
participating SOs/ACs (that is, unanimity)."

This is NOT CORRECT and MUST BE CHANGED.

Who introduced this language? We never agreed to this.

A specific exclusion from this must be introduced to make it easy for
the CMSM to use its statutory power to require ICANN to abide by the
Bylaws provisions, so that the CMSM can be use to require ICANN to make
the IRP available and require ICANN to enter into it to resolve disputes.

As we have rest most of the accountability improvements that matter on
the IRP, failure to make this change will fundamentally compromise the
entire accountability exercise!

Please confirm your intention to make this change.

Kind Regards,

Malcolm Hutty.

https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/52888421/5A-Community-Mechanism-Descr-FinalDraft.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1438078874000&api=v2