[WP1] Inherent powers of CMSM

Samantha Eisner Samantha.Eisner at icann.org
Tue Jul 28 18:40:54 UTC 2015

Malcolm, do I understand your statement to mean that the member will have standing to resort to the IRP?  We can't require ICANN to ENTER an IRP - that sounds as if ICANN is filing against itself.  If the member has standing to initiate an IRP filing, then ICANN would have to participate in that process, or risk the consequences of failing to participate (adverse ruling, potential board spill, etc.)

I see a second concept in your note, which is that of binding ICANN to the ruling of the IRP.  If parties are going to be able to proceed to court to force compliance with an IRP to which they were a party, the IRP would have to provide for that.  Separately, if not following an IRP ruling would be a violation of the Bylaws, then the member may be able to use that as a basis of a derivative suit because of the statutory powers that follow from being a member.

I agree with Greg on the potential confusion here with the use of the word "automatic."  Assuming that I haven't misstated the law in here, is this what I should understand your were trying to say?