[WP1] Section 5B - community powers - consolidated draft

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Wed Jul 29 23:50:54 UTC 2015

Hi all

Attached are the community powers papers combined into one document, and
benefiting from the latest legal review and updates following our last
call. This is for discussion in our next CCWG call/s.

*I draw your attention in particular to two points:*

** in the *"removing individual ICANN directors"* paper (section 5B.3)
there was no limit on the number of times people could seek the removal of
a director: if a vote failed, a new petition could happen immediately. *I
have suggested there should be a standdown period of six months - if a vote
to remove an individual director fails, a new petition could not be lodged.* It
doesn't seem fair to allow the community to simply wear down an elected
director by attrition like this.

** in *"recall of the ICANN Board" *paper (section 5B.4), there was a
weirdness in the *petitioning*. We agreed that two SOs or ACs must petition
to trigger this, at least one of which needed to be an SO, but the paper
had a legacy oddness that 2/3 of the SOs and ACs would have to sign on to
the petition. This was the same threshold as the actual decision. *So I
have deleted it.*

The changes to the Budget paper also clarify the separateness of decisions
re IANA budget and ICANN budget.

Redline and clean versions attached. Please treat the clean version as the
authoritative one. The redline includes all changes other than formatting
and minor word changes that don't change substance, as far as I know.

cheers
Jordan

--
Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

+64-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob)
Email: jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*A better world through a better Internet *