[WP1] Budget

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 18:10:01 UTC 2015

It is true that robust community consultation during the operating
plan/budget process will reduce the likelihood that an unacceptable budget
will end up before the Board.  But it does not eliminate that as a real
possibility.

It is true that if the Board has an unacceptable budget before it, the
Board should not adopt it.  But that is still a real possibility.  They may
not deem it unacceptable; they may think that their view of the Budget is
better for ICANN and the global public interest than that of the
community.  So they may pass that budget.

The community should have the power to veto that budget.  Giving the
community only the power to remove the Board under those circumstances is
overkill.  Even if it is one likely scenario after such a budget approval,
it is not the only likely scenario.  If you thought you should replace the
plumbing in your house, would you want a rule that says your only option is
to blow up your house?

Greg