[WP1] Budget

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Oct 9 16:49:43 UTC 2015

On 09-Oct-15 10:48, Asha Hemrajani wrote:
>  So Avri’s email baffled me somewhat.

It really depends of how you define cooperation and the scope of
cooperation. We have consultations but I question whether we have
cooperation.

Yes, we get to participate in the budget process, but it is not so much
cooperation as we petition the Staff and the petitions are either
accepted or not. We can argue once or even twice or three times, but at
the end of the day, the Staff proposes and the  Board decides.

This is not quite what I define as cooperation between the Community and
the Board, so much as consultation by the Staff with the Community.

We are not asking for prior co-decision making, i.e prior cooperation.
We are requesting cooperation after the fact .  Once the Staff has
proposed and Board has made its decision, it is still possible that some
of the issues where the community thought was essential and had brought
up during the consultation, especially in regard to IANA, might not have
been supported or acted upon in a manner that solved the problems as the
Community saw them.  It is in this case that cooperation is needed, i.e.
the Community power, to resolve the issues.

Thanks for asking and apologies for not answering quickly enough.

avri

---