[WP1] Budget

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Fri Oct 9 17:04:14 UTC 2015

+540. "We are always only talking about last resorts here."

That should be written on the wall of every single meeting room the CCWG
uses in Dublin.

cheers
Jordan

On 10 October 2015 at 04:00, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think that a substantial pre-budget input process with the
> community and the right to veto a budget are mutually exclusive.  Rather, I
> see them as all part of the process.
>
> I believe that all of the powers we have contemplated should only be
> exercised when there has been a breakdown in an input process and attempts
> at resolution have been unsuccessful.  We are always only talking about
> last resorts here.
>
> Our tendency to focus on last resorts should not be mistaken for a desire
> to resort to last resorts first.
>
> Greg
>
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Asha Hemrajani <asha.hemrajani at icann.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jonathan
>>
>> Currently it is “everyone’s” preference – anyone and everyone who is
>> willing to review the budget and has an input can join us in the
>> calls/webinars and the f2f budget workshops (>1/2 day) to raise any issue
>> they see fit.
>> No one is barred from attending, these meetings are widely publicized and
>> everyone is welcome.   *Jonathan*, please join me at the Dublin budget
>> meeting if you like.
>>
>> Yes issues should be raised early enough but not unnecessarily so –
>>  staff need sufficient time to finalize the annual operating plan budget,
>> publish it by our annual deadline (mid year).  Just as in any other
>> organization that has employees, collects revenue and has costs.  We must
>> have the means and discipline to publish our final annual budgets on time
>> or we would have paralysis of the organization -  how would we pay the the
>> ICANN staff or our vendors eg meeting hotels/translation staff and and so
>> on without having a set budget to work to?
>>
>> What Cherine is proposing is that this process is set in stone, in a
>> manner of speaking.  The rights for a community input process on the
>> development of the annual operating plan and budget will be enshrined.
>>
>> In any case, going back to the point of my original email, I hope I have
>> clarified that we are already co-operating on the budget.   The budget
>> review process is a long one, with community participants and staff working
>> really hard to work through issues.  So Avri’s email baffled me somewhat.
>>

>> Asha
>>
>> PS Congratulations on your wedding :-)
>>

>> From: Jonathan Zuck <JZuck at actonline.org>
>> Date: Friday, 9 October 2015 10:03 pm
>> To: Asha Hemrajani <asha.hemrajani at icann.org>, "avri at acm.org" <
>> avri at acm.org>, "wp1 at icann.org" <wp1 at icann.org>
>> Subject: RE: [WP1] Budget
>>
>> The further development of this process is EVERYONE's preference and if
>> it works, we'll never need to use the buyer veto. The requirement that any
>> issue be raised early means the community can never go strait to this power
>> besides having no motive to do so. Treating these paths as somehow mutually
>> exclusive is a real mistake. They're a continuum of escalation that no one
> [...]

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

+64-4-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob)
Email: jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter
Web: www.internetnz.nz

*A better world through a better Internet *