[WP1] Budget and Strat Plan Veto Discussion Guide v2

Cherine Chalaby cherine.chalaby at icann.org
Fri Oct 9 17:15:50 UTC 2015

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for forwarding the revised Comment Analysis.   There are two items missing  under the section "Options for CCWG Consideration” which were in the note I sent you. These are:

During the Development of the Annual Operating Plan and Budget:  The Board must be able to align cost with revenue so that the financial stability of ICANN is not jeopardized.

After the Annual Operating Plan and Budget are Approved:   The Board must retain, throughout the Fiscal Year,  the ability to approve certain new expenses not planned for in the approved Annual Operating Plan and Budget.  This allows the Board to act in cases of unforeseen urgent matters that put ICANN’s operation and mission at risk.  Of course this recommendation goes hand in hand with the recommendation to empower the community to consider and reject any deviation from the approved Annual Operating Plan and Budget that relate to expenses for new initiatives that are not in the Five Year Strategic or Operating Plans and that are inconsistent with the Purpose, Mission and Role set out in ICANN’s Articles and Bylaws, after they are approved by the Board (but before they come to effect).

	I am concerned  that these two recommendations are taken out of context.  I am therefore resending for the benefit of everyone on the WP1 my note on the budget.

	Thanks
	Cherine