[WP1] Budget

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Oct 10 12:46:38 UTC 2015

Hi Asha,

To be clear the difference between a consultative  process and a
cooperative process comes down to who makes the final decision on
approving the budget.  Is it a board decision or is it a joint decision
of the community and Board.

BTW, I would think that designing a cooperative process for developing
the Budget is beyond the scope of WS1. But I want to honor your request
for a better explanation of what I mean and would have liked to see in
the best of all possible ICANNs.  And I fear I am failing in my ability
to make my point clearly.

In a cooperative process it would be a joint decision of the community
and the Board to accept the Budget. To have a cooperative process,
either the Community as a Sole Member or each of the ACSO individually
in the absence of a SM, would have to make a decision, using a
participatory democratic process of some sort, on accepting the budget
as well as the Board deciding.  Until such time as each party approved
the budget, they would keep working on it.  The approval of the
community for the budget would be active and would be prior or
contemporary with Board approval.

In a consultative process after talking to community participants and
dealing with issues in some repsect, the Board makes a decision and the
community lives with it.  This is the current situation, and I must say
I am happy to hear from current participants that the consultations are
working better than ever before.

In the case of the Community power, if the Board did not deliver an
acceptable budget, then after the fact, the community could initiate a
process to stop the budget from going further until it was fixed. The
ability of the community to stop the budget from being implemented until
all of its issues are dealt with is the next best thing after a
cooperative process with prior approval by the community as it adds
incentive on the Staff and Board to honor the consultations.

Note, either process can be multistakeholder, it is just one is a
multistakeholder consultation and one is multistakeholder cooperation.
The locus of decision making and degree of democratic process varies
between the models.

But as I said, I may be wistful for an cooperative process with prior
approval of budget by the ICANN community, hence my statement that
caused this discussion, but do believe it is out of scope and more than
could be achieved in the current climate.

avri