[WP1] Breakout on Decision-making model

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Mon Oct 19 08:24:03 UTC 2015

hi Roelof

I am not Steve but my understanding is the same as yours. For changes to
fundamental bylaws, it is an active approval process.

best
Jordan

On 19 October 2015 at 09:19, Roelof Meijer <Roelof.Meijer at sidn.nl> wrote:

> Steve, this looks good.
> I have a question about the fundamental bylaw part however. Is the idea
> that there will be "passive approval "(if the community does noting to
> prevent it, the board can change fundamental bylaws by itself) and "active
> disapproval" (if the board decides to change a fundamental bylaw and
> someone disagrees, we kick of the the process)?
>
> The table seems to indicate this, while I would expect “active approval”:
> if the board woud want to change a fundamental bylaw, the board would have
> to start a process to get approval from the community (eventually meaning
> obtaining  a minimum of 4 supports and a maximum of 1 objection)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roelof
>
> From: <wp1-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Steve DelBianco <
> sdelbianco at netchoice.org>
> Date: zaterdag 17 oktober 2015 15:45
> To: "wp1 at icann.org" <wp1 at icann.org>
>
> Subject: [WP1] Breakout on Decision-making model
>
> Attached is a doc showing photo of original and presented boards, plus a
> table for what we presented.
>
> Required Community Powers
>
> Should we have a
>
> Conference
>
> Call?
>
> Should we Convene Community Forum?
>
> Do we have Consensus Support for this decision?
>

> 1. Block a proposed Operating Plan/Strategic Plan/Budget
>
> 2 support
>
> 3 support
>
> 4 support, and no more than 1 objection
>

> 2. Approve changes to Fundamental Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation
>
> 2 support
>
> 3 support
>
> 4 support, and no more than 1 objection
>

> 3. Block changes to regular bylaws
>
> 2 support
>
> 2 support
>
> 3 support, and no more than 1 objection
>

> 4. Remove individual board directors
>
> 2 support
>
> 2 support
>
> 3 support, and no more than 1 objection
>

> 5. Recall the entire board of directors
>
> 2 support
>
> 3 support
>
> 4 support, and no more than 1 objection*
>
> *
>
> 6. Mechanism for binding IRP where a panel decision is enforceable in any
> court recognizing international arbitration results
>
> 2 support
>
> 2 support
>
> 3 support, and no more than 1 objection
>
> Mediation before IRP
>
> 7. Reconsider/reject board decisions relating to reviews of IANA
> functions, including trigger of PTI separation
>
> 2 support
>
> 3 support
>
> 4 support, and no more than 1 objection

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

+64-4-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob)
Email: jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter
Web: www.internetnz.nz

*A better world through a better Internet *