[WP1] Pls Read - Agenda for Meeting - WP1 on Fri 30 October at 18h UTC

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Fri Oct 30 17:24:36 UTC 2015

My responses to the questions below.  Thanks, Robin

On Oct 29, 2015, at 9:06 PM, Jordan Carter wrote:

> [...]
>
> a) Do we support the decision-making model (by consensus) replacing the voting approach?
I do not believe that we are "replacing" the voting approach simply by calling it "consensus".  What we are doing, in the shift, is altering the relative weight of the various SO-AC's decision making authority, in the direction that is opposite what public comment called for.

> b) Do we support only one view being expressed by each SO or AC?
No.  At the final decision level in the community mechanism, it is important that diverse and minority views be expressed.  For example the GNSO consists of 3 commercial stake-holders and 1 non-commercial stakeholders.  It will be virtually impossible for non-commercial view points to matter if the GNSO is "forced" to vote a single way.  Otherwise, we will always risk tyranny of the majority.

> c) Do we support an equal say for each participating SO or AC?
No.  The decisional weights should reflect the existing corporate structure of ICANN - its board of directors and apportion relative weights accordingly (leaving out those who wish to be left out).  We have said all along we weren't going to use this accountability process to elevate some SO's or AC's relative to others.

> We also need to address the following:
>
> d) In our Third Draft Proposal, which SOs and ACs do we propose should be participating? that is, do we respect the SSAC's desire not to, and do we take a view re RSSAC?

Only the ALAC should be a participating AC in the decision making mechanism.  The ACs who do not desire to participate understand what their role is and the potential harm in shifting it and we should absolutely respect that.  As a general principle, ACs should remain "advisory" and not have an additional say in the community mechanism, although ALAC can have one to match its board member.

> e) Based on our answer to d), do we need to make any changes to the numbers in the decision-making framework?

Yes, we need to listen to public comments and find an arrangement that is more in line with the existing relative weights among SO-ACs and does not empower ACs over SOs as is currently being proposed.