[WP1] Homework from WP1 call on Fri 30-Oct

Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch
Sat Oct 31 05:18:24 UTC 2015

Dear all and dear Steve, and dear Jordan,

Establishing a split vote system at the end of the escalation process is not just a mathematical operation.

It radically changes the incentive structure for arriving at consensus. Both within each SO/AC and within the community as a whole.

Within each SO/AC it reduces the incentives for compromising and seeking consensus on a common position. Every minority view knows it can play up to the end game and does not need to compromise. And the majority positions have little incentive to convince the minority as they can -without much discussion- gather, say 3 or 4 of the "votes".

Minority views are much better served with a strong consensus requirement in each SO/AC. This forces factions to come together and agree on one position. And: minorities can voice their views (and try to convince other parts of the community) within the open and deliberative parts of the escalation mechanism (i.e. the community forum).

After all nowadays each SO/AC has to arrive at common positions in the processes which presently exist (who, at the end of a policy process, wants to hear 5 different opinions from the GAC or from the ccNSO...?).

Why should they not ne able to do the same at the very end of an escalation path which we designed in Dublin, whose objective is to strive for community-wide consensus on the exercise of community powers?

This also impacts the rest of the SO/AC. They may want to continue with consensus decisions. If this is a general feeling and only one or two SO/AC seriously want "split voting", split voting should not be imposed on the rest of SO/AC. If this scheme is nevertheless imposed, it will act as a constant incentive within "former consensus" SO-AC to also split votes in the future.

In addition, if no other SO/AC really wants "split voting" or only one or two SO/AC do, the whole exercise is meaningless. I mean: if the other five SO/AC stick to a "one position system", this should in any case be respected and no multiple votes assigned to that SO/AC. And in practical terms, that one or two of the SO/AC had in such an environment "split votes" would mean to add fractions (say 3/5 and 4/5, minus 2/5 and 1/5) at the end of the process to the "units" expressed by the SO/AC sticking to the "one voice system". Would that have any weight, apart from distorting the incentives for arriving at consensus?

This would only be divisive and act as an incentive for not compromising.

Please kindly consider these thoughts carefully, because we are not just doing some math. We would be altering the carefully crafted compromise of Dublin...

regards

Jorge

Von meinem iPhone gesendet