[WP1] Call for Volunteers -- PC analysis

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Sep 30 16:18:28 UTC 2015

Hi,

I don't have much to add to any of these topics.  but if voluntold to do
something will do my best.

Other than a disturbing thought.  If we had the power to remove the
whole board at this moment in time, would we be spending our time trying
to come to an accommodation or would be be trying to remove them?

This thought makes me nervous about how we would use that power.  We
might not do it often, but how frequently would we spend an enormous
amount of time considering and discussing it.

I know it is one we have consensus on.  The Board even seems to accept
it, at least somewhat.  But I think we need to think of a way to keep it
from become a constant preoccupation (other than the optimal solution
of  having a Board that interfaces well with the community)

On the Community mechanism I do think we need to rename it to bring out
the fact that it is only a power when there is broad
agreement/consensus-by-some-definiton of the entire ACSO. We also need
to explain that.  I wonder whether we need to move away from even having
a voting concept to having a discussion and black ball concept. i.e. if
two ACSO come out against, back to the drawing board. but if the CM,
conceived off as a full ACSO cross community WG, comes out with a
statement that is considered by all the ACSO without 2 objections, it
can go forward. So 2 ACSO can trigger the mechanism, and 2 ACSO can
freeze an action after full discussion and negotiation.  Or something
similar.

I thought about the idea of adding the Board to the mix so it becomes
ACSO+Board and do not see why it would not be workable as long as they
participated in the mechanism on an equal footing and not as overlords
with their own special veto.

Just random thoughts.

avri