[independent review] Independent Review

McAuley, David dmcauley at verisign.com
Mon Mar 16 13:17:52 UTC 2015

Thanks Becky for sending the link and thanks as well to David Post, David Maher, Bruce Tonkin, and others who have weighed in on this so thoughtfully. .

Like some, I question the CEO selection provision for the review panel. But the good news, IMO, is that there seems to be widespread support for a review panel mechanism that takes on issues of substance as well as process - although the heavy lifting detail work lies ahead.

One particular detail that we will have to keep in mind is the potential cost of participating in a review panel - the ability to air a complaint within reasonable cost. The forum suggested in the article - made up of five "outstanding legal experts" who have a commensurate salary and office - sounds like an expensive bureaucracy in the formation stage and we need to be careful here.

And along with cost, we should also pay careful attention to limitations - disincentives to frivolous or inconsequential claims - a delicate balance to be struck.

David McAuley