[WP2] this is the current text of the Mission Commitments and Core Values language

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 13:20:49 UTC 2015

I believe that all of the following can be dealt with (and have been dealt
with) by ICANN, without exceeding its mission or violating its Bylaws:

The “global public interest” in ICANN’s context concerns not only the
> operational stability of the Internet. That is an essential issue, but
> there are more aspects to the many public interest issues actually
> encompassed by ICANN’s actions and policies. For instance, other important
> issues that go beyond the technical stability, such as intellectual
> property rights protection, privacy and law enforcement, cyber bullying,
> Public Interest Commitments regarding new gTLD, highly regulated sectors,
> and human rights, are at stake because they have an inherent impact on
> global public interest, and therefore can be subject to GAC’s Advice.

​I don't think that adding the suggested language would constrain the GAC's
ability to give Advice in these areas.

As I read the Bylaws (as revised and currently), if the GAC gives Advice​
that would require ICANN to exceed its mission or violate its Bylaws, that
should trigger a consultation, which presumably would be used to determine
how to revise the advice so that ICANN can act on the advice while adhering
to its mission and Bylaws.

Greg