[Wp4] Fwd: Re: [] Variety of formulation for Human Rights bylaw that were made. - corrected

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Thu Aug 6 22:21:03 UTC 2015

On 08/06/2015 08:39 PM, Greg Shatan wrote:
> This is not intended to be a roadblock.  Quite the opposite.  But
> dashing off a sentence and then "see you in Dublin" is not going to
> work.  We need to put some work in now.  It shouldn't be that hard and
> it shouldn't take months, but it also shouldn't be that easy to change
> the ICANN bylaws either.

Stop agreeing with me! (Or rather, keep it up!).

> I'm willing to put the work in now.#

Me too.

> We cannot adopt a bylaws change on the basis of "caveat emptor."  (A
> little Latin always elevates a discussion....)

My generation is the last to have been taught Latin routinely at school
(mid 1970s).

But when I did my law school studies (2004-2008), the use of Latin was
was comprehensively deprecated, following the Woolf reforms.

So (major cultural difference ahead), to me, a little Latin serves to
isolate and exclude.

And as both Denning and Steinbeck showed us in their different fields:
very simple English can be the most elegant and accessible.

(If you haven't come across it before, do please read Denning in
dissentia in Miller -v- Jackson).

nigel