[Wp4] Fwd: Re: [] Variety of formulation for Human Rights bylaw that were made. - corrected

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 12 15:24:43 UTC 2015

I agree with Greg that the focus is on policy development and subsequent
implementation.  I agree with Niels (and many in the thread before him)
that not all of the dissection of what adherance means needs to be done
in WS1.  I think this group will bog down forever if we try to parse
that list of covenants and figure out which apply to ICANN's policy
role, particularly given that tricky grey area of content control which
we must not step over.  SO my bottom line is, can we agree to find
language that refers to the UDHR and the ICCPR as it applies to ICANN's
limited mandate and pass the rest of the work on to both the Working
Party on Human Rights and to WS2?  My own view is that the work needs to
be done, but not slow down the finalization of the proposal, and
discussion of the various convenants promises to get really slow and
difficult.  I suspect WS2 will have to get to the next level, but
certainly not the bottom, of what it would mean for ICANN to respect
human rights in its mandate.
Having said this, ICANN's responsibility to be a global institution with
fair and equitable access does impact certain of the convenants and we
will inevitably get into what it means to be non-discriminatory when
acting "in the public interest".
I thought Avri had already come up with a great formulation for the
purposes of WS1.
cheers
Stephanie Perrin