[Wp4] Fwd: Re: [] Variety of formulation for Human Rights bylaw that were made. - corrected

Paul Twomey paul.twomey at argopacific.com
Wed Aug 12 18:03:11 UTC 2015

Without going into the xxx politics too much (although I could not
resist copying Becky ;)  ), part of my point is by putting HR wording
into the bylaws we will directing the attention of various parties to
new ways to try to halt/affect ICANN decisions and operations.  This may
be a good thing - but we need to consider the implications very carefully.

As for the Ruggie Principles, I quoted an excerpt below and pointed to a
real issue on ccTLD agreements.    I have to say that I am increasingly
wondering whether at least the ccTLD links should be exempted or at
least carefully prescribed.

Paul

On 8/13/15 3:28 AM, Martin Boyle wrote:

> I can certainly empathise with Paul’s comments – and I think others
> can, too:  we have seen comments about limiting to mandate etc.
>
> Remembering a comment that Nigel made early on, referring to the
> Ruggie Principles (The UN’s “Guiding Principles on Business and Human
> Rights”:
> http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Publications/GuidingPrinciplesBusinessHR_EN.pdf),
> I wonder whether reference to following business obligations
> associated with these principles as appropriate to ICANN’s core
> mandate would provide us with a framework for WS1?  If the US has
> signed up to Ruggie (which I assume it has), then this would actually
> be a statement (and acceptance) of the status quo
>
> Ruggie’s recommendations include responsibilities of the States, so
> many of the overarching issues would be for the country of
> incorporation – and their action to enforce.  Just thinking about the
> .xxx example Paul cites (and there was a big question in Lisbon about
> ICANN going into content!), wouldn’t it have been possible for the
> American Family Foundation to have litigated on the grounds of
> exploitation of children and undermining the family?
>
> Just a thought!
>
> Martin

Dr Paul Twomey
Managing Director