[Wp4] Fwd: Re: [] Variety of formulation for Human Rights bylaw that were made. - corrected

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Aug 13 05:58:52 UTC 2015

Hi,

I think you mention that the Ruggies principles are indeed generic.  WS2
would be when we figured out how they applied to  ICANN.

You also quote the most essential parts:

    (a) A policy commitment to meet their responsibility to respect
    human rights;
     (b) A human rights due diligence process to identify, prevent,
    mitigate and account for how they address their impacts on human
    rights;
    (c) Processes to enable the remediation of any adverse human rights
    impacts they cause or to which they contribute.

Nothing it these 3 should be terribly difficult to commit to.  But in
the WS1 we are only looking to half of the first commitment - 'to
respect human rights'  and in fact limiting it to our mission and
operations.  How we do that is the longer task.

While it is true that I initially recommended we commit to the Ruggie
Principles in the Bylaws, I realized that this was too heavy a lift for
ICANN at this point and am thus recommending we only take the first step
- a commitment to respect Human Rights in maintaining the openness of
the Internet, the commitment we have yet to make in replacing NTIA as
oversight, and art of our accountability requirements fro NTIA.

Much of the discussion you have initiated talks about new commitments
you indicate we might have to take on, and expansive requirement.  I am
only talking about meeting the current commitment that is ours by virtue
of US Gov't oversight.

I would very much like for us to understand how Ruggie applies to the
special condition of ICANN as a NGO that acts like a business, but that
is the longer task, one I still think is inappropriate for WS1.  I know
you insist on taking us down this road, but I do believe you are
confusing a very simple issue.

avri