[Wp4] Fwd: Re: [] Variety of formulation for Human Rights bylaw that were made. - corrected

Niels ten Oever lists at digitaldissidents.org
Thu Aug 13 15:06:21 UTC 2015

But as said earlier, I still think we should go with a high level
reference to human rights, which seems to be the approach most people
agree to if I am not mistaken. If one really would like to tie it
further down, I suggest we include a reference to UDHR, ICCPR and ICESR.

Best,

Niels

- --
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9

On 08/13/2015 03:08 PM, Niels ten Oever wrote:
> [...]
>
>>> - Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of
>>> Genocide
>
>>> -  Convention on the Rights of the Child
>

>> ​I honestly don't know which if any of these have relevance to
>> fundamental human rights and ICANN's mission.  I suppose we
>> could wait until Workstream 2 to determine which if any of these
>> should be explicitly seen as helping to define the Human Rights
>> to which ICANN is committing.
>

>> These have been agreed upon by practically all states and are
>> inherent part of the body of international law. I don't think we
>> would need to re-discuss their validity, universality or
>> applicability here.
>
>> I also don't think that a detailed discussion of the actual
>> implementation of this work needs to be discussed here. Detailed
>> implementation of policy does not belong in the bylaws.
>

>>> GS: ​I agree with your second sentence but not your first.  I
>>> don't think anyone has suggested that detailed implementation
>>> of policy belongs /in/ the Bylaws.  But the Bylaws are the tip
>>> of the iceberg.  We do need reasonably detailed discussion to
>>> come to a common understanding of what ICANN is committing to
>>> and what the results and consequences of that commitment are.
>>> ICANN does not adopt or amend bylaws without relatively
>>> detailed rationales and underlying work.  This should and must
>>> be the same for this, especially since it is being adopted as a
>>> "Core Value."​
>

>> If you want to read more about it, I think the reports that
>> Article19 produced for the CCWP on ICANNs Corporate and Social
>> Responsibility to Respect Human Rights could be a good starter.
>> [0] As well as of course the UN Guiding Principles for Business
>> and Human Rights [1] and the ICT Sector Guide on Implementing the
>> UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights [2].
>
>> This is not something that we are reinventing here, but a
>> practice that many companies have already adopted, look for
>> instance at Cisco [3][4].
>

>>> ​GS: Clearly, we are not starting from scratch.  However, I
>>> don't think ICANN can be directly compared to a company like
>>> Cisco. Cisco runs a business; it doesn't make policy or set
>>> norms. ICANN may have a corporation with employees at its core
>>>  (or arguably, not at the core), but it is more than that --
>>> it is a multistakeholder governance ecosystem.  I may be
>>> wrong, but I expect that the primary concern relating to ICANN
>>> and Human Rights relates to policy matters (and resulting
>>> implementation matters) and not to how ICANN run itself as a
>>> business (e.g., hiring, pay, benefits and other employee
>>> matters; purchasing decisions; etc.).  As such, we really are
>>> breaking new ground here.  As mentioned in my bullet point
>>> list, it would be interesting to know how other more
>>> comparable organizations have dealt with Human Rights
>>> commitments (e.g., the I* organizations, standard-setting
>>> NGO's, self-regulatory industry bodies, multistakeholder

pd

>> <http://www.ihrb.org/pdf/eu-sector-guidance/EC-Guides/ICT/EC-Guide_IC

.pdf>

> [3]