[Wp4] Discrete issue: Which bylaws formulation

Dr. Tatiana Tropina t.tropina at mpicc.de
Sun Oct 11 16:56:20 UTC 2015

+ 1 to supporting option (a) from me.
I  would go for the minimal bylaw text (ok, with /legal/ instruments in
brackets if necessary). I certainly do not support the inclusion of the
UN Guiding Principles in the proposed bylaw text even in brackets. We
are summarising public comments, and (if I remember correctly) the only
opinion there about guiding principles in the statement from Business
Constituency that it doesn't support such a reference. Furthermore, even
if we are going to include international human rights law instruments,
UN Guiding principles won't be the case because they are neither treaty
nor declaration. I doubt they can be characterized as "international
human rights law". Last but not least, if we make such inclusion it's
getting us too far from the second option of proposed bylaw text, which
was supported in the public comments (7 of 23).
I would rather suggest to add a paragraph about the poll results and say
there that some of the WP4 member who answered the poll suggested to
include the UN Guiding principles into the bylaw. We can discuss this
issue further when we will be writing explanatory document to the bylaw
text.

Best regards
Tatiana