[Wp4] Discrete issue: Which bylaws formulation

Dr. Tatiana Tropina t.tropina at mpicc.de
Sun Oct 11 19:22:42 UTC 2015

Nigel,
I think there is confusion about the matter we are actually trying to
discuss here, namely, which instruments should stay in the bracketed text.
You refer to UDHR - but it's not the issue. A reference to UDHR was
suggested in the group discussion and we decided that it will stay in
the bracketed text of the proposed bylaw language as one of the choices.
I am for more general bylaw language, but I can live the inclusion of
UDHR and other two legal instruments proposed because they reflect
international human rights law. So this bracketed text will stay in the
proposed language anyway.
The discussion here, however, focuses on the inclusion of the Ruggie
principles, not UDHR. And whatever issue is raised as a potential
concern - be it legal issue, potential liability or just simply the
absence of even a rough consensus between the members of the group on a
possible inclusion of Ruggie principles into the bylaw language and
possible consequences of such inclusion - it means, IMHO, that we can't
propose to include UN Guiding principles.
Proper legal instruments, such as UDHR, will stay in brackets as a
possible choice in any case.
That's how I see it.
Best regards
Tatiana