[Wp4] Discrete issue: Which bylaws formulation

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 21:24:35 UTC 2015

Let's go back to first principles for a moment.  I think we are losing
sight of our "assignment."

The primary purpose of this document is to provide a neutral synthesis and
analysis of the public comments.

A possible secondary purpose of this document is to provide some guidance
to the CCWG in considering the public comments and how (if at all) the CCWG
Proposal should be revised in light of these comments.

This is not supposed to be a "think piece" independent of the public
comments.  I'm not saying that such a document is inappropriate.  But it's
not our assignment.

I think the topics under discussion at this point would be more appropriate
for another document, and not for the analysis of comments. Indeed, the
very idea that we could have a number of disagreements or open issues in an
analysis of public comments provides a very significant clue that we have
strayed from our task of neutral reportage.  There should be few if any
disagreements when it comes to accurately stating the results of the public
comment period, and indeed, I think there are few if any disagreements with
regard to that part of our document.

It's when we turn to "making news" instead of "reporting news" that we lose
our way.  I don't think these topics are out of place in WP4 or in the
CCWG, but I think they are out of place in this document.  I think they are
more appropriate for the framework or rationale document that we need to
produce, or for some other document that is the output of WP4 (but which is
not the analysis of comments).

At this point, I would very strongly urge us to pare back this document and
to move the WP's comments, discussions, etc. (except the very few that
provide direct guidance to the CCWG in considering a particular comment or
comments) into another document (or documents, if we want to get some
pieces circulating more quickly into the CCWG, while we continue to work on
other pieces).

Greg