[Wp4] New report on ICANN and Human Rights

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Fri Oct 30 08:54:30 UTC 2015

I will do my best to be on the call, although it clashes with various
work committments.

I would caution that the subject of ccTLD delegations his has, in the
past, been a controversial issue (and is even now the subject of
potentially precedent-setting litigation at appeal level, involving
ICANN as Respondent/Appellee).

Admittedly, it has become slightly less controversial since the
interpretation of policy is much more settled and ICANN is much less
inclined to act without basis of law.

I do not want today's call to become distracted and deteriorate into a
debate between ccNSO members** and Paul over the difference between what
ICANN might have done in 1999-2003 without benefit of law, and today's
situation where the ccNSO, IANA staff and the ICANN Board have all
agreed that the Framework (the result of six years hard work by all
parties concerned, including the GAC) is the definitive construction (as
lawyers use the term) i.e. 'interpretation' of the policies that govern
the creation of ccTLDs, and change of ccTLD manager.

RUGGIE
------

Paul raises a really good point, nonetheless: and it's this.

We *should'nt* adopt Ruggie principles blindly simply "because they are
a good thing", but we should spend some time examining their interaction
and effect on existing legal relationships over ccTLDs, and existing policy.

So: clearly a matter for WS2. (I personally happen to expect that once
that work is done, ICANN probably should adopt the Ruggie principles,
but that is a debate for WS2).

Notwithstanding this, I think there is a baseline below which we cannot
fall in order to have credibility, and that is the UDHR.#

It is a most unattractive argument to reject, at this critical juncture
an overarching committement to protect fundamental rights. Particularly
on the basis that ICANN might wish to (*as it has done in the past*)
infringe fundamental rights such, just for example, those set out as
Art. 1 Prot 1 of the ECHR. -- the protection of (intellectual) property.

It's a serious credibility issue.

It's almost of the order of George Bush pulling the pulling out of the
International Criminal Court in the expectation that in the future, US
solidiers might face war crimes charges. (Indeed, as subsequent history
has taught us, with Abu Ghraib and other events, he was, probably entire
coincidentally, very far-sighted).

And, yes, I wish this was hyperbole on my part, but given the historic
trust issues with ICANN (which we appear to be past, but should never be
forgotten) it most certainly is not.

Nigel
--

** NOTE: There are at least 3 members of the FoI WG on this WP4 list.