[Wp4] Draft high level wording on Human Rights - Invitation to comment

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Wed Sep 2 11:53:01 UTC 2015

Hi Nigel

On 9/2/2015 8:38 AM, Nigel Roberts wrote:
> No, I think this is an incorrect representation. The sub-group did not
> recommend that. Some members of the sub-group recommended this.
I think the summary provided by Leon reflects the discussion we had.
> I was not on the last call and I have a problem with "internationally
> recognised" simply because there's no such thing, and I suspect this
> is well known.
I agree and have suggested its deletion in the google doc

> I know Paul Twomey has got a particular bias against the UN, which he
> expressed on the list, but are we, as ICANN, going to formally reject
> the UN Declaration on Human Rights here?
I don't think anyone is suggesting that we should reject the UDHR.

> I think it would be hubris to think we (ICANN) could design a better.
>
> I don't think that debate is over.
Agree there is a need for further discussion and encourage those
interested to contribute to the google doc.

> Nigel
>
> PS: As you know, 'due to having to work for a living' I missed the
> last call -- on a similar WG within my own constituency we had a
> guideline that no contentious changes were made without consensus, and
> that meant two calls minumum.
I like to think that we are still in a discuss/debate phase.

Matthew

--
Matthew Shears
Global Internet Policy and Human Rights