[Wp4] Draft high level wording on Human Rights - Invitation to comment

Paul Twomey paul.twomey at argopacific.com
Wed Sep 2 15:16:25 UTC 2015

Nigel

Let me put my own case - it is not one of being biased against the UN.
I am not and the UN has got little to do with my concern.

My concern remains focused: the practical operational necessities of
maintaining the IANA function which is the most important thing ICANN
does.   At the core of the IANA function, ICANN has to deal with EVERY
country code and generic top level domain operator.   If it does not, we
do not have a global internet - or at least not one coordinated by
ICANN.   It is impossible for ICANN to be held accountable for the human
rights performance of these operators who are required to act under
their own countries laws - during my tenure as CEO even had to deal with
situations where ccTLD operators were being shot at by forces linked to
at least parts of governments were not been getting what they want.
So my concern is that the Ruggie Principles state that a company is
accountable to

Seek to prevent or mitigate adverse human rights impacts that are directly linked to their operations, products or services by their business relationships, even if they have not contributed to those impacts.

My concern with the Principles is this: the company needs to prevent
human rights impacts of its contracting or business partners. This if
pushed on ICANN by actors (not just inside ICANN community) who are
against the way a ccTLD is being operated (or even a gTLD which comes
under national law) could result in either:

- ICANN getting involved in political and content issues in every
country (completely contrary to its technical coordination role) and/or
- If it does seek to promote human rights at the ccTLD level, many
countries seeking an alternative to the single IANA function, and the
breaking up of the present single global interoperable Internet.

Either one would be disastrous.

And it may fine for us to say "but ICANN does not set ccTLD policy" etc.
but wait for a political advocacy group to take this provision to a US
or other court and the court may still say that ICANN is obligated.

Hence my suggestion that we be clear that human rights be limited only
to ICANN's own ways of conducting its work within its mission.

I am supportive of the modified language in the draft.

Paul