[Ws2-diversity] Diversity Strawman Document v1

Brambilla, Andreea (IC) andreea.brambilla at canada.ca
Wed Oct 26 18:50:33 UTC 2016

Dear colleagues,

Thanks to Fiona and Rafik for this initial draft of the strawman document. Please find below our comments, which I hope will serve as a constructive contribution to the discussion.

Diversity and inclusive participation is a source of strength in ICANN's multistakeholder processes. Canada supports a broad definition of diversity that is inclusive of a multitude of dimensions. It will be important to ensure that in our efforts to define and enhance diversity at ICANN, we are not inadvertently limiting participation or promoting exclusion. From our perspective, it would be beneficial to focus on practical and innovative approaches that enable inclusiveness so that more individuals from different backgrounds, experiences, and geographies can meaningfully engage without significant barriers, and their ideas and views can be considered as part of ICANN's multistakeholder processes. To the extent possible, we should avoid burdensome solutions or overly complex metrics.

With respect to the strawman document, we recognize the difficulty with defining a complex and multi-dimensional topic like diversity.  Perhaps part of the challenge is that we did not have the benefit of doing a scoping exercise to frame the issue we are seeking to address with respect to diversity.  Before we jump to a recommended framework for enhancing diversity, it may be helpful to go back to Recommendation 12 from the CCWG final report and use this as the starting point for our discussion. The way Recommendation 12 is currently reflected in the strawman document treats it more like an afterthought, rather than a starting point.

Best regards,

Andreea Brambilla
Government of Canada