[Ws2-diversity] Results from the Captioning Survey from WS2 Diversity

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 19:55:24 UTC 2017

Hi

Thank you for sharing this with the group.

I'd just make an observation regarding the following questions and results
EV1 Captioning was very helpful to 83%
EV2 Participants with disabilities 7%
EV5 Can we have captioning for all meetings? - Comment

This is one of the trickiest things when working with diversity.

Most agree that captioning is helpful, however, folks that need
captioning due to disabilities aren't on our calls because there is
never captioning.
So it's a catch 22 dilemma.
These results can give the false impression that captioning is not as
needed because there aren't participants with disabilities attending.
When actually, it is of the uttermost importance, because if we don't
have them always, they won't be there and identifying themselves as
participants with disabilities.

Visibility generates participation. Information generates participation.

If one can observe and know that there is captioning, the diversity
group can finally reach a large part of the population absent to its
debates.

I understand captioning is a pilot project and ws2-diversity work is
just beginning. But I can't help on comment on a lack of participation
existing due to a technology missing. How can we do our job well if we
are talking about people who are not on the call?

"Nothing about us without us" is the motto and it couldn't fit better
anywhere than here.

Best,

Renata