[Ws2-diversity] Draft 01 Diversity Report

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 17:44:12 UTC 2017

On Feb 23, 2017 15:29, "Malcolm Hutty" <malcolm at linx.net> wrote:

On 23/02/2017 13:30, avri doria wrote:
> I think your understanding of quota differs from mine.

My understanding of "hard quota", as applied to (for example) selection
to a committee, is that if the committee does not currently meet the
quota and a seat comes up, only people whose selection would contribute
towards meeting the quota are eligible for consideration.

SO: If for instance, the quota referred is measured against regional
diversity then I don't see why such "hard quota" as it is termed shouldn't
be put into the guideline, No?. What we have presently is that we
informerly/indirectly set high quota for experience and skills which could
then technically result to limit of the likely candidates to the "global
North" (as it's put). We want to avoid that as much as feasible.

Regards

If yours differs, I would be interested to know in what way. However,
since hard quotas are not included in the report, I am more concerned
with getting answers to the questions I put to the group as a whole.

> When the
> majority do not include diversity, quota are often the only solution.
> It by no means prevents those with the majority aspects from being
included.

I read that as a proposed justification, rather than a proposed
alternative definition.

Malcolm.

--
            Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
   Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                 London Internet Exchange Ltd
           Monument Place, 24 Monument Street London EC3R 8AJ

         Company Registered in England No. 3137929