[Ws2-diversity] Questions the meeting tomorrow

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 00:55:46 UTC 2017

Hello

As the inputs from SO/ACs have been incorporated on the draft report,
I've made a few comments and would like to advance them here so as it
is clearer the discussion on them tomorrow.

Draft report

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SvqOdsuAxpbn-W4sw5C7QQeh0IJu6MjSNbZdcC9F9Ho/edit

Inputs

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1knHluhdwkxYvD8yfD4y1Gtgt-Ejd8AR8sqKqs5xkty4/edit#gid=1219217503

Questions

Item 12.5 on - “[Age diversity/youth] limited to the level of representation”

My comment was that I found this expression confusing.

Does this means that no members were found to be from distinct age
diversity (only members from 40yo on exist…)… The expression “limited
to the level of representation” continues on in other items. So maybe
it would be clearer something like “diversity of this element is still
incipient” or “can be improved”…

Item 12.7 – Skills diversity as 1st priority by the board and absent
from any other input by SO/ACs.

This contrast is a bit surprising. Perhaps deserves some discussion on
what “skills” is as seen by board, maybe ask to send a follow up
explanation.

In 12.9 the additional elements of diversity could probably be what
the SO/ACs understand as skills or characteristics of a diverse
leadership.

Recommendations section

Added a recommendation 10

Create specific programs to address priority gaps or elements which
are lacking in the diverse composition of an SO/AC

(example: If an SO/AC only has no/little youth members, to create an
specific initiative to address the gap)

Main concern/impression from general reading of inputs

There is willingnes to create diversity in the ICANN community but
initiatives are comments on the importance of them do not really
appear to convince. It could be interpreted that the community feels
obligated to strive for diversity but it is not yet committed. Hence,
the need to see as well what is mainly lacking as elements of
diversity and address it in priority order.

Best,

Renata