[Ws2-diversity] [CCWG-ACCT] Notes, recordings and transcript for Diversity Subgroup Meeting #20 | 26 April 2017

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Fri May 5 09:03:26 UTC 2017

Hi Julie,

Thanks for this suggestion, we will table it for discussion for next week
call.
I encourage everyone to comment the wording in the list in meanwhile.

Best,

Rafik

On May 4, 2017 9:30 PM, "Julie Hammer" <julie.hammer at bigpond.com> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

As I recall, I has volunteered to try to suggest some alternate words for
Section 6.2 at our last call, and other commitments over the last week have
prevented me getting to this until now.  Having said that, I also struggled
to understand the intended meaning of the paragraph and so I am unsure
whether the message has been correctly expressed in the new words.

*Original Paragraph:*

6.2 Language: All languages should be possible to be represented in ICANN
for the organization to position itself as a fully global multi-stakeholder
entity. There is a need to improve the balance between the seven official
languages at ICANN: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Russian
and Spanish. However, ICANN manages the IANA functions that offer IDN
services to entities who do not use any of the seven official languages
that ICANN supports, and it is especially important that ICANN improves its
communication with this group of stakeholders so that they can be better
engaged.

*Proposed New Paragraph:*

6.2 Language: In an ideal world, ICANN should accommodate participation by
individuals who speak any language for the organization to position itself
as a fully global multi-stakeholder entity. In reality, the ability to
support participation by individuals who speak the seven official United
Nations languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Russian
and Spanish) should be deemed to be the minimum requirement. Better balance
in providing support for some of these languages is desirable. Furthermore,
as more IDN TLDs are delegated, it is important for ICANN to support
services to entities associated with those languages outside these seven
official languages and to improve its communication with this group of
stakeholders so that they can be better engaged.

Cheers,  Julie

On 27 Apr 2017, at 2:23 AM, MSSI Secretariat <mssi-secretariat at icann.org>