[Ws2-hr] Welcome and call planning

Paul Twomey paul.twomey at argopacific.com
Mon Aug 1 17:13:26 UTC 2016

Indigenous peoples have not been neglected in ICANN discussions.

One of the reasons the community exception was built into the new GTLD
policy and then implementation process was specifically to give
indigenous groups and other "non-modern economy" groups the chance to
defend terms which were important to them - but which were not
specifically covered by intellectual property law.  The illustrative
"dot maori" was referred to often during the policy making process.

It is also an illustration of how policies put in place for a specific
purpose have been utilised more generally by the domain name
communty/industry.    Such a rule of unintended consequence is one which
this working group will need to consider carefully in its work.

Paul Twomey

On 7/30/16 9:50 AM, Chris LaHatte wrote:

> +1 to supporting the rights of indigenous people, a recognised issue
> in human rights, but perhaps neglected in the name and number spheres
>
> Chris LaHatte
>
> Consultant to the Ombudsman

Dr Paul Twomey
Managing Director