[Ws2-hr] Fwd: [EXTERNAL] Re: Request for input on Human Rights questions

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Wed Dec 14 20:51:41 UTC 2016

Thank you Leon.  It is good to know that ICANN Legal believes the draft definition of “applicable law” is accurate, although it may have been helpful to have more information on the laws that apply due to ICANN’s status as a California non-profit corporation.  I do consider that there are laws that apply outside the U.S. to California non-profits who are doing business abroad, most notably by way of having opened offices in those jurisdictions.

Regarding the word “respect”, ICANN Legal states that the primary meaning of this word is that ICANN has no obligation to enforce Human Rights as against third parties.  So we still need to determine as a subgroup what this word might require that is short of enforcement.  For example, is the Bylaw violated if ICANN does not undertake a Human Rights Impact Assessment?  Who decides the scope of that assessment and how much it should cost?  Is the assessment meant to be part of a Human Rights policy development process or is it in the form of an “Expert Report” delivered to the ICANN Board?  What happens if the ICANN Board does not take action based on each recommendation made in such an Expert Report?  Is ICANN then subject to administrative and judicial proceedings for failing to do so?  Are directors subject to removal for violating the Bylaw?  (How are these risks to be addressed in recommendations coming from our subteam?)

I personally cannot answer these questions  but wanted to raise them by way of  example since the document we are working on at present refers to this specific Human Rights Impact Assessment tool.   Would failure to conduct an HRIA mean that ICANN is failing to respect Human Rights?  What if the community disagrees with an Expert HRIA report provided to the Board on this subject?

As previously stated, I believe that the applicable definition of “respect” in this Bylaw falls somewhere in the realm of “to fully consider and balance Human Rights considerations among each other and as against other Core Values when making policy”.

In light of some previous comments I have made, I also wanted to mention that I looked  back at the Objection Procedures for new gTLDs and realized that Human Rights is a listed basis for the Limited Public Interest Objection.  Thus, when we consider how the new Bylaw and HR-FOI interact with existing ICANN processes, we may need to look specifically at the Limited Public Interest Objection Procedure.

Thank you,
Anne

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel