[Ws2-hr] Report to CCWG

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Wed Nov 2 23:59:40 UTC 2016

Certainly there would be labor laws that apply to ICANN employees stationed in countries outside the U.S.  which laws will have certain Human Rights implications.  I think it will be important for our group to distinguish between ICANN internal processes which are subject to "applicable law" and the portion of the By-Laws that discusses international principles of Human Rights which may apply via the FOI to the extent they are within the scope of ICANN's limited mission.    In this regard, I read "applicable law" to have the same meaning as "governing law."

We will have to be quite careful about taking an approach that says that ICANN is bound by foreign laws on Human Rights.   For example, having an office in Brussels does not automatically  mean ICANN is subject to every EU statute on Human Rights, in particular because those statutes we refer to govern acts of States.  It appears that since we all recognize how powerful the Internet is, we want to bind ICANN in the way we bind member States but that is not within the scope or meaning of the By-Law.

For example, the fact that certain social media operators have agreed to sign the European Commission "Code of Conduct Countering Illegal Hate Speech Online" does not mean that ICANN should voluntarily require registry operators to comply with that Code.   I think the reason this notion scares me so much is that it is quite likely that King George would have characterized Patrick Henry's speech about the tyranny of the King of England over the colonies (and the sole state-sponsored religion allowed during his reign) as impermissible hate speech.  I find the provisions in the Code for appointment of individuals to monitor this online speech and provide notices to effect rapid takedowns of matter which is purely speech quite disturbing indeed.  (On a level with Candidate Trump's intention to ban Muslims from immigrating to the U.S. when the U.S. is in fact a country founded principally on the notion of freedom of religion and assembly and has more descendants of immigrants than descendants of indigenous peoples.)

What would be most useful is for ICANN Legal to not only advise as to U.S. laws binding the non-profit but also the laws of the countries where ICANN has offices and how those laws may bind a foreign (California)  non-profit public benefit corporation.  Such foreign laws would still be in the definition of "applicable law" or "governing law".  After that we can move on to principles that do not constitute "applicable law."

I certainly agree there may be "applicable law" with Human Rights implications that applies to ICANN offices outside the U.S.   Such laws are quite likely to apply to ICANN Operations and not at all to the broad approach taken in the Ruggie Principles to "all its business relationships".   I support the relevance of Ruggie Principle 18(b) to our work on drafting an HR-FOI.   (As a reminder, Principle 18 is pasted below.)  This particular Principle is exactly what ICANN should be doing going forward in the process of respecting Human Rights consistent with existing processes and protocols within ICANN as described in Annex 6, including, but not limited to, the PDP process.  I believe the term "respecting" means to  fully consider Human Rights principles, applicable U.S. laws (and foreign laws that apply to foreign offices) and finally, performing the balancing of Core Values that must occur pursuant to the By-Laws in each issue that is being considered.  This balancing act is not to be done by the WS2 HR-FOI Subgroup and considerations will be different (and weighed and balanced differently) depending on the issue at hand.  This is why it is critical for the FOI-HR to expressly recognize and affirm the Policy Development Process in the bottom-up MultiStakeholder Model.

We must provide an FOI-HR that

1. puts a priority on compliance with applicable laws.  This is “baseline”.

2. Does not attempt to address each scenario or issue that could arise, but rather (in the absence of a direct legal obligation via governing law) creates a Framework for a further analysis via the Policy Development Process.  (We are not supposed to be making policy or deciding on some new "applicable law"  in WS2 FOI- HR.)  The definition of "applicable law" is just that.

3. Will lead to joint community consensus and action because  when we get beyond the operation of "applicable law",  no contracted party may be bound by a provision that is not developed pursuant to a Policy Development Process.  (Yes folks, this is in the Registry Agreement and it is known as “Consensus Policy.”)

4. provides helpful suggestions to the policy-making bodies (and the Board)  as to how to perform the act of balancing Core Values, including balancing various Human Rights principles in relation to one another.

[cid:image001.png at 01D23527.78182290]

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel

520.629.4428 office