[Ws2-hr] Report to CCWG

Paul McGrady policy at paulmcgrady.com
Wed Oct 19 18:13:37 UTC 2016

Thanks Niels.  By saying the group has reached some sort of consensus that
certain Ruggie principals may apply, you are already including overviews of
the various views of the members of the group.  I, for one, still have no
idea if any of the Ruggie principals would apply since I do not know whether
or not they are already subsumed by or preempted by California State law.  I
hope your summary will be complete enough to include that at least one
person in the group believes we out to start with what applicable law is
already in place before we begin opining on whether or not third party
sources should govern ICANN behavior, since the bylaw makes it clear that
all of our work should end up with a product that is within applicable law.
We simply have no hope at hitting the target if we insist on having blinders
on.  Not telling the Plenary CCWG that we have decided to put on blinders is
an important thing for them to know so that they can either tell us to take
off the blinders and look first at what human rights requirements already
exist under applicable law or they can consent to us trying to put the
puzzle together in the dark.

As far as my suggestions for next steps, they remain the same as the first
(among many) times I have brought up this subject.  Ask ICANN Legal what
Human Rights laws already apply to the organization.  They have been
operating in California for some time now and they already know the answer
to this question.

Best,
Paul

Paul D. McGrady, Jr.