[Ws2-hr] When should ICANN uphold human rights?

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 15:55:33 UTC 2016

Calling something "not meaningful" is very easy. But it does not devalue
its merits, fortunately.  Please provide a rationale for why the questions
are not meaningful. I don't have to consult with the co-chairs to discuss
the questions here. If the group feels that it is unnecessary to discuss
these questions they can simply not respond, if they feel we should
re-formulate them, then we can.

The questions are to clarify what we mean by ICANN should not become a
content regulator. The discussions that can arise responding to the
question and sub-questions which I have posted can lead us towards a more
tangible understanding of what we mean when we say ICANN should not become
a content regulator and should not go out of its scope and mission when
upholding human rights.

Best

Farzaneh

On 4 September 2016 at 17:34, Kavouss Arasteh <kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear All,
> I do not understand the meaning and purpose of these questions.
> Perhaps the author of the questions could consult other two co chairs and
> come up with meaningfull text.
> We can not send out these questions at all
> Reagrds
> Kavouss

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sorry for sending out the questions late. I wanted to provide a gist of
>> what we discussed during our call and then provide the questions but
>> unfortunately, we still do not have the recording. Below are some questions
>> for the group to discuss:
>>

>> Considering ICANN's scope and mission, when should ICANN uphold human
>> rights?
>>
>> - In its consideration to enter into contracts with registries and
>> registrars? (for example, when they are considering a new gTLD application)
>>
>> - During the contractual relationship with the registries and the
>> registrars by obligating the registries and registrars to enforce human
>> rights?
>>

>> Best
>>

>> --
>> Farzaneh