[Ws2-hr] When should ICANN uphold human rights?

Dr. Tatiana Tropina t.tropina at mpicc.de
Tue Sep 6 18:01:36 UTC 2016

Greg,

I think the whole discussion on the "content regulation" (whether we
define it or not here) reflects the concerns about "enforcement" and
"protection".

While we can abandon the use of the term "content regulation" for the
sake of avoiding the maze of rabbit holes, the enforcement and
protection issues will be on the table anyway, and they will refer to
the TLD issues as well.

Fortunately, we have restrictions in the mission re content regulation
and in the HR bylaw re enforcement and protection. I think that is
enough to save ICANN from the content regulation (whatever it means!).
But we have to figure out where is the silver line between "respect" and
the no-go Human Rights watchdog actions. I think the expression "content
regulation" is used here as it reflect the concerns that ICANN will step
into this area of enforcement.

Best,

Tanya