[Ws2-hr] Proposed Agenda Call Sept 6 19:00 UTC

Rudolph Daniel rudi.daniel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 19:46:57 UTC 2016

Excuse I am absent....meeting clash.
RD

On Sep 6, 2016 8:51 AM, "Kavouss Arasteh" <kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Mr. Niels ten Oever,
Thank you very much for the materials that you have extracted either from
WS1 WP4 or from Two CCWG Recommendations.
Some  distinguished colleagues quite knowledgeable and qualified wish to
reopen the extensive discussions that we have had at WP4 and at CCWG WS1in
an attempt to have a new round of discussion on the matter whereas our
terms of reference is limited to the parts included in one of the
background material that you have provided ,namely

1. to consider which specific Human Rights conventions or other instruments,
if any,should be used by ICANN in interpreting and implementing the Human
Rights Bylaw.

2.to consider the policies and frameworks, if any, that ICANN needs to
develop or enhance in order to fulfill its commitment to respect Human
Rights.

3.consistent with ICANN’s existing processes and protocols, consider how
these new frameworks  should be discussed and drafted to ensure broad
multistakeholder involvement in the process.

4-to consider what effect, if any, this Bylaw would have on ICANN’s
consideration of advice given by the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC).

5.to consider how, if at all, this Bylaw will affect how ICANN’s operations
are carried out.

6.to consider how the interpretation and implementation of this Bylaw will
interact with existing and future ICANN policies and procedures”.
It should be emphasized that the Framework of Interpretation is to be
developed “to ensure that adding the proposed Human Rights Bylaw provision
into the ICANN Bylaws does not lead to an expansion of ICANN’s Mission or
scope”

Moreover, it is clearly stated in the Report of CCWG,WS1 that

The  proposed draft Bylaw on Human Rights would reaffirm ICANN’s existing
obligations within its Core Values, and would clarify ICANN’s commitment to
respect Human Rights. We therefore should avoid using other verb such as "
Protect" or " enforce" or any other verb instead of " respect" .Similarly
,we do not need to interpret  what we mean by to respect as  the term
respect is a known term and needs not to be described nor to be interpreted
In addition, it was emphasized that The bylaw will not expand ICANN’s
narrow scope and mission

We should avoid to convert this sub group activities to a Philosophical,
Psychological, and research activities. We are neither the UN General

I hope you will lead the group in order that it remains within its limited
trams of reference  and just answer those questions raised above,

Best Regards.

Arasteh