[Ws2-hr] FW: Proposed Agenda Call Sept 6 19:00 UTC

Karen Mulberry karen.mulberry at icann.org
Tue Sep 20 17:19:08 UTC 2016

On behalf of ICANN Legal

Karen Mulberry
Multistakeholder Strategy and Strategic Initiatives
ICANN

From:  Samantha Eisner <Samantha.Eisner at icann.org>
Date:  Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 11:01 AM
To:  Karen Mulberry <karen.mulberry at icann.org>
Subject:  FW: [Ws2-hr] Proposed Agenda Call Sept 6 19:00 UTC

Can you please provide this to the HR subgroup?

Dear HR-Subgroup members,

I understand that the question posed was "'What is the rationale for the
addition of 'core values' to the ICANN bylaws, and what are its legal and
non-legal implications in your opinion, especially for the human rights
bylaw?²

The Core Values have historically been part of the ICANN Bylaws, introduced
after the ICANN evolution and reform effort in 2002,
https://www.icann.org/en/about/governance/bylaws/bylaws-15dec02-en.htm.
>From 2002 through the Bylaws as they exist today, the Core Values remained
unchanged, with the following as guidance for the application of Core
Values: "These core values are deliberately expressed in very general terms,
so that they may provide useful and relevant guidance in the broadest
possible range of circumstances. Because they are not narrowly prescriptive,
the specific way in which they apply, individually and collectively, to each
new situation will necessarily depend on many factors that cannot be fully
anticipated or enumerated; and because they are statements of principle
rather than practice, situations will inevitably arise in which perfect
fidelity to all eleven core values simultaneously is not possible. Any ICANN
body making a recommendation or decision shall exercise its judgment to
determine which core values are most relevant and how they apply to the
specific circumstances of the case at hand, and to determine, if necessary,
an appropriate and defensible balance among competing values.²

With the Bylaws drafted to implement WS1, the CCWG recommended the
development of both Commitments as well as Core Values, for which the
balancing test has changed.  Some of the items that were previously Core
Values are now expressed as commitments.  The balancing test now requires
that all of the commitments be met, while Core Values still are dependent
upon situations and can be balanced amongst each other.

The inclusion of the Human Rights commitment as a Core Value, which was
expressly required in Annex 6 of the WS1 report, assures that it is an item
that is considered while ICANN is performing its Mission.  The implication
of this is strong, particularly where the FOI considers how to guide the
interpretation of this obligation.  Of course, there are already legal
obligations that are tethered to human rights obligations (for example,
observing laws against human trafficking) that ICANN is already following.

Given the long-standing nature of the Core Values section of the ICANN
Bylaws, this is a key tool in guiding ICANN¹s operations. They are part of a
near 15-year history of ICANN acting within its Mission.

If there are more specific questions that you have on this topic, please let
us know.

‹
Samantha Eisner
Deputy General Counsel, ICANN