[Ws2-hr] Proposed agenda meeting 31 - August 8 19:00 UTC

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Tue Aug 8 17:42:28 UTC 2017

The existing language in "Considerations" is pasted below.  It's not clear to me where this new language just sent by Niels is intended to be inserted, but it appears there could be a conflict with the existing language below, as noted by Bastiaan.

With regards to the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human

Rights , no consensus was reached as to their suitability for interpreting

the Core Value. However with regard to the implementation of the Core

Value certain aspects of the UN Guiding Principles for Business and

Human Rights could be considered as a useful guide in the process of

applying the Human Rights Core Value. There are certain Guiding

Principles that may not be suitable for ICANN and others that might be

applicable, depending on the circumstances. However, it is beyond the

scope of this document to provide a detailed analysis of the Guiding

Principles and their application, or not, in particular situations.

In any case, a conflict between any Guiding Principle and an ICANN

Bylaw provision or Article of Incorporation must be resolved in favor of

the Bylaw or Article. The use of the Guiding Principles as potential

guidance has to be carefully considered by each SO and AC as well as

ICANN the organization.

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel

520.629.4428 office