[Ws2-hr] Redline and also excerpt from Considerations re ICANN.org reviewing framework with SOs and ACs

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 20:29:16 UTC 2017

Sent from my mobile
Kindly excuse brevity and typos

On Aug 9, 2017 8:45 PM, "Aikman-Scalese, Anne" <AAikman at lrrc.com> wrote:

David,

It is exactly because of the arguments you make below - and specifically
with respect to UNGP Principle 18 -  that I think any reference to the
UNGPs as an applicable "mechanism" has to make clear that this does not
reach Contracted Parties relationships unless a framework is proposed by
ICANN the organization to the SOs and ACs and a Policy Development Process
ensues.

SO: +1

    So if we are agreeing ICANN org can take these steps using a Ruggie
mechanism and that it is up to ICANN org to determine which tools are
appropriate, then we had better recognize this is expressing acquiescence
to the idea that the Contracted Parties relationships can get a Ruggie
assessment.

SO: +1 and FWIW perhaps it's good to also read the "contacted parties"
above beyond just the names but also the other communities that ICANN
serves (numbers and protocol)

Alternatively, we limit the comment to “internal operations”.

SO: Makes sense, if for instance it's applied in consideration of diversity
or for instance can be considered applicable in ombudsman dealings with
community member(s)

  Or we say, “To the extent that the foregoing assessment may impact gTLD
policy, ICANN the organisation will review such mechanisms in accordance
with the existing processes and protocols”.

SO: The above might work as well even though my preference is for the
former.

Regards

I use the “existing processes and protocols” language because that is the
section of the Considerations document we are working on.

Anne

*Anne E. Aikman-Scalese*

Of Counsel

520.629.4428 office