[Ws2-hr] Proposed Agenda August 15 19:00 UTC

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 14:44:15 UTC 2017

With apologies, I must miss today's meeting as I will be in the midst of a
college tour with my son at my alma mater.

The drafting team has not completed its work; I'm not as optimistic as
David that we will do so in the next few hours.

I agree that if we cannot come to consensus on a change, the current
version stands.  However, if we are going to "count noses," I see 3 public
comments urging a change to our consensus, all from the same advisory
committees.  On the other hand, I believe I see support for the consensus
from members of at least 3 different stakeholder groups (not "mostly from
one ICANN constituency").

While we should always fully consider and take into account public
comments, that does not mean that changes need to or should be made based
on that process. The burden of persuasion is on the comments and those
supporting them.  I for one am unpersuaded. I believe the logic and balance
of our current consensus still stands.

Finally, I believe that comparisons of particular decisions in different
working groups, subgroups, implementation teams, etc., are of limited
utility. The dynamics of such efforts are far too fact-specific and
issue-specific to be useful.

Greg